[Pmwiki-users] Re: setup script, sample-local.php, local/, and a slippery slope

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Feb 12 13:32:35 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:12:41PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> I don't want apache to be allowed to write to local/. Couldn't we put the
> generated file in a dedicated directoy (to which apache may write).

I wasn't going to let apache write into local/ generically -- it'll still
be 755 permissions.  I was just going to let apache write to the
setup-local.php file, which would be 777 permissions by default.

I can always have setup-local.php written into wiki.d, but that seems a
bit weird somehow (even though other non-page files get written there also).
And I don't know that it's worth creating a separate writable directory
just to hold one or two writable files.

> Actually, I don't see why the README.local file isn't in the
> pmwiki-directory (and is called simply README).

This is an excellent point!  Actually, README.local was there just
to get the tar/zip distributions to be sure to create the local/
directory for me, and because I needed to give admins some idea of
what the local directory is for.  Since local/ now contains .htaccess
and sample-local.php, README.local can move to the base directory.

> > Another option: instead of creating a separate setup-local.php file, the
> > setup script could simply generate sample-local.php with the appropriate
> > configuration settings *and* suggestions for other customizations in it.
>
> I don't understand the difference (except that the name is different)?

The difference would be that setup-local.php can be short and minimal,
containing only those things that are needed for an installation to
run properly, while sample-local.php has lots of customization suggestions
in it.  If they're separate, then an admin would have to copy setup-local.php
to local.php, and then copy+paste things from sample-local.php.  If they're
combined, then an admin simply copies setup-local.php to local.php and
starts editing it to enable/disable common configuration features.