[Pmwiki-users] New Feature Request (WikiStyles)

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sat Feb 21 05:55:14 CST 2004

IDEA #1

I was experimenting with wiki styles, and noticed a few limitations.  I think it would make Custom Styles very powerful if you could build new styles based on other styles (existing or user-defined).  For example, the following style definitions are not completely legal at the moment (note the first two are legal, but the third one is not).

1.  %define=myhotpink color=FF69B4%

2.  %define=myblue color=#4292D8%

3.  %define=highlight color=myhotpink bgcolor=myblue%
  Make %highlight% this %% word highlighted.

Number 3 is illegal, and it won't work.  Instead you have to do this:

4.  %define=highlight color=FF69B4 bgcolor=4292D8%
  Make %highlight% this %% word highlighted.

You could build some pretty cool styles based on existing user-defiend styles if you were allowed to include previously defined styles in new style definitions.

Just an observation :-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IDEA #2

I'd like to see the addition of other (css-like) styles added to this (besides just color, bgcolor, etc).  For example, bold, italic, underline and strikethrough.  Many reasons for this, but here's two examples:

Example 1

%define=mystyle color=black bgcolor=yellow underline=true bold=true italic=true size=14pt%

Now I can write:

Here is some text.  This %mystyle% word %% is very important.

I've now applied 7 different style formats to a single word with only the %mystyle% syntax.

Example 2

Another advantage to adding bold italic and underline is that it allows users and administrators to fore-go using the existing and confusing ' ' ' 'markup' ' ' ' markup.  Instead you could do something like this in your Group.GroupHeader.php file:

%define=b bold=true%
%define=i italic=true%
%define=u underline=true%
%define=bu bold=true underline=true%
etc etc ...

Then in your wiki text:

Here is some text.  Here is some %b% bold text %%.  Here is some %bu% bold and underlined text %%.

Which would render as:

Here is some text.  Here is some bold text.  Here is some bold and underlined text.

As usual, just toss em if you don't like em (my ideas).

Cheers,

--S