[Pmwiki-users] New Feature Request (WikiStyles)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Feb 21 06:39:06 CST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:08:35PM -0800, Steven Leite wrote:

>    I  was  experimenting with wiki styles, and noticed a few limitations.
>    I think  it  would make Custom Styles very powerful if you could build
>    new  styles  based  on  other  styles (existing or user-defined).

You can.

>    1.  %define=myhotpink color=FF69B4%
>    2.  %define=myblue color=#4292D8%
>    3.  %define=highlight color=myhotpink bgcolor=myblue%
>      Make %highlight% this %% word highlighted.

The correct definition is %myhotpink myblue define=highlight% .  This
is alluded to but not explicitly stated in the documentation for WikiStyles.

>    I'd  like to see the addition of other (css-like) styles added to this
>    (besides    just   color,   bgcolor,   etc).    For   example,   bold,
>    italic, underline  and  strikethrough.

These can be done as local customizations.  Following PmWiki Philosophy #3,
I just did the most popular ones to begin with, and I'm waiting to see
which others are needed and what names I should use.  In general I don't
like "flags" such as "bold=true", and perhaps it would be good to borrow
from the CSS style names (e.g., font-weight=bold, font-style=italic)
rather than invent new ones.  Since these can be shortcut as %bold%,
%italic%, or even %b%, %i%, or %b i%,  users aren't forced to use the longer
names.

I'll create a cookbook entry with some style customizations.