[Pmwiki-users] Directory hiearchy (was Re: Skins)

Christian Ridderström chr
Sun Feb 22 13:29:27 CST 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Lee Corbridge, DVM wrote:

> Hi Patrick ...

> When I first looked at the code of PMWiki my jaw hit the floor.

I know what you mean... (IIRC, harly any comments in pmwiki.php ;-)

> I simply was not prepared or experienced enough to make sense of it all.
> Having the css code in one directory, the skins in another directory,
> and the pmwiki.php in the local directory was very confusing to me in
> the beginning.

I think we definitely need a page that describes the directory hierarchy
--- it ought to be very useful for new admins to find their way around the
installation. We should probably separate between the "required"
hierarchy, and "recommended" hierarchy. And there should probably at least
be a sentence saying that the reason for the hiearchy has to do with
security.

> The installation was simple, clean, and easy ... the customization part
> should be just as easy, but it isn't.

To be honest... given the amount of freedom pmwiki allows you when you
configure your site, I'm not sure it's realistic to expect *easy*
customization of more complicated layouts. However, I agree (with you or
maybe it's Steven?) that some examples of configurations should go a long
way. Speaking of which, I make all details of my configuration public
here:

	http://wiki.lyx.org/beta/pmwiki.php/SiteTest/ConfigFiles

although that URI will change, and since the site is being redesigned the
files are changing rapidly right now :-)   Anyway, this can be thought of
as a very advanced example, and the (old) documentation for how it's
configured is available here:

	http://wiki.lyx.org/beta/pmwiki.php/Site/LocalConfiguration

Maybe we should add a page to the cookbook, where we can place links
pointing to pages in other sites where they describe how it is configured?

/Christian