[Pmwiki-users] php-less installation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Feb 23 11:37:15 CST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:08:35PM -0600, Alexander Babanov wrote:

> I'm installing 0.6.1 on two different systems, and on both systems it
> fails when I run pmwiki.php on chmod-2777-ed directory.
>
> First system [Apache 1.3.26, PHP 4.3.4] gives the following error:
>
> ====================
> Warning: Unknown(/some_local_path/pmwiki-0.6.1/pmwiki.php): failed to
> open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0
>
> Warning: (null)(): Failed opening
> '/some_local_path/pmwiki-0.6.1/pmwiki.php' for inclusion
> (include_path='.:/export/apache/1.3.26/php//lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

Check the permissions on the pmwiki.php file and the directories above
it.  For some reason the server process is unable to open pmwiki.php.
Also, are you including pmwiki.php inside of another PHP file?

> ====================
> Second system [Apache ?.?.?, PHP 4.0.6] fails differently:
> ====================

PmWiki 0.6.1 and later require PHP 4.1 or above.  I didn't realize there
were any PHP 4.0.6 systems still out there... :-)

> CGI script error
>
> directory is writable by others: (/some_other_local_path/WWW)

This is odd, it looks as though the webserver has been configured to
not execute PHP scripts in writable directories.  You may need to
manually create wiki.d.

> Both systems are known to run PHP. So, my question is: what steps do I
> take to install pmwiki bypassing chmod step?

Simply create wiki.d in the directory containing pmwiki.php, and give
it 777 permissions.  Then add the line

    umask(0);

to your local/config.php file.  That should do it.