[Pmwiki-users] php-less installation

Alexander Babanov babanov
Mon Feb 23 23:57:35 CST 2004

 > Check the permissions on the pmwiki.php file and the directories above
 > it.  For some reason the server process is unable to open pmwiki.php.

Strangely enough, the same server process opens my test .php with the
same permissions from the same directory ~:-1

 > Also, are you including pmwiki.php inside of another PHP file?

No, I was not even aware of such possibility =8-)

 > PmWiki 0.6.1 and later require PHP 4.1 or above.  I didn't realize
 > there were any PHP 4.0.6 systems still out there...

Well, it must be FreeBSD legacy. I should probably be happy that the
system is not hosted on Debian, we would probably still be in PHP 3 beta
phase ;-D

Anyway, can you summarize in a few words which parts of PHP 4.1 are you
using that are not available in 4.0.6? If they are not vital, I can try
to patch them with a very small shell^H^H^H^H^HPerl script.

 >> CGI script error
 >> directory is writable by others: (/some_other_local_path/WWW)
 >
 > This is odd, it looks as though the webserver has been configured to
 > not execute PHP scripts in writable directories.  You may need to
 > manually create wiki.d.

Yes, it turned out this way. I was able to complete setup by running
"php pmwiki.php" from a shell. Now wiki renders its front page with the
following errors in the header:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in
/local_directory/WWW/pmwiki.php on line 23

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output
started at /local_directory/WWW/pmwiki.php:23) in
/local_directory/WWW/pmwiki.php on line 378

I assume it has something to do with PHP 4.0.6, right?

 >> Both systems are known to run PHP. So, my question is: what steps do
I take to install pmwiki bypassing chmod step?

 > Simply create wiki.d in the directory containing pmwiki.php, and give
 > it 777 permissions.  Then add the line
 >     umask(0);
 > to your local/config.php file.  That should do it.

Thank you! / Alex