[Pmwiki-users] Autosave on Preview

Steven Leite steven_leite
Thu Jul 8 21:05:01 CDT 2004

On Thursday, July 08, 2004 1:17 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Mirko Froehlich <mfroehlich at virage.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>> What happens if two people are editing the page?  Does it
>> become a hassle to have to worry about action=edit vs.
>> action=editpreview?  If there are multiple people creating
>> stored previews of a page, do they all share the same stored
>> preview?

I wouldn't want to over-complicate this.  Simply comparing the current
version and the temporary version (the temp/saved/preview), a simple
warning could be issued (eg. "Warning, the page you are editing is older
than the currently saved version".).  At least the person editing the
preview would understand that somebody else had edited the page in the
meantime (proabably a rare occurance for most wiki's).

>> Note that storing temporary edits in this way would
>> mean that such edits are not part of the page history, and
>> thus would not have a restore capability or the ability to
>> handle simultaneous edits.

I wouldn't want my (preview) edits to be recorded.  Only when the page
is actually SAVED should the edit be recorded.  It should also be part
of the page history.

>> I have more comments on this topic but will write them in a
>> later, broader message.

> At least speaking for myself, multiple people creating stored
> previews are not a concern. Until page locking is implemented, the
> issues involved don't seem to be any different than those regarding
> actual page edits.
>
> -Mirko

Agreed, and also, isn't there some kind of merge function now available?
That's also an option, although I've never been fond of that one from
the beginning.

Steven Leite