[Pmwiki-users] The People's Press

J. Meijer commentgg
Mon Jul 26 17:27:29 CDT 2004

I remember having heard of a site a long long time ago that provided sticky notes on the internet. They would appear wherever the user would create them, relative to some other page. So users could comment (blog) on a page and others could take note of that. In effect this would be the people's press. Never heard of it since though. But the idea I think is great.

I'd like to see the same thing happen for my wiki. Instead of worrying about order and pagenames, users can simply write a comment and attach it to the page. The viewer can opt to show the notes, they are probably anchored inside the page-text, much like a footnote[1]. Only these notes are not limited to the layout of the page :-)  but float on it. Like geocities' adds.

I think this is a powerful tool, a must-have in our wiki-toolbox?

They should be draggable.
They should have their own pageview, much like the current print-layout.
They should be selectable for deletion, no edits required :-)
They should be stored as part of the user-profile and be readable there.
They should be yellow.
Well no, actually not, they'll probably inherit the color-scheme of the author.
Their anchor can an icon.
Smiley's make excellent anchors.

Actually I already have a poor man's alternative. The scheme can be implemented as hovertext. But this way they clutter the page-source. And they show during just a (too) few seconds. But even this way works when suitably anchored through an icon.
At least the page when viewed isn't cluttered by discussions about the page itself. They easily accessible nevertheless.

Impulse comments can be a big asset to the wiki, so the hovertext route is not the way to go. By requiring embedding, the learning curve might just be a bit too steep.

-jm

We are changing the face of the world but the list is for tech and tech only. We do not present or discuss why we work, what we are working on and how it motivates us. Let alone show something of what touches us in our sfere. If Patrick managed to set the cat on fire, some might be delighted to hear the tale ;-)