[Pmwiki-users] Image sizes, alt tags, and more (was: Image display resizing problem)

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Mar 2 08:10:03 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:32:12PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I'd like to propose a couple of markup possibilities that may solve several
> problems at once.  In particular, let's make use of the query string
> parameter on image URLs, which isn't commonly used (I'm not aware of
> any sites that use this).  Thus, one would be able to write as markup:
>
>    http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/ptart-1c.gif?alt=Pop_Tarts

And this would work too?

	Beanstalk:ffff.gif?alt=fee_fie_foe_fum

(where Beanstalk is presumably an intermap link)

Hmm.  What about instances where the image is generated via a program?
Currently the conventional wisdom says to do this:

	http://foo.com/cgi-bin/mapper.cgi?parm1&dummy=.gif

for it to be interpretted as an image.  How do we prevent the CGI from
eating the "alt" etc. or would pmwiki "steal" those from the CGI?

> Also, if the query string parameter is a problem, we could instead
> overload the fragment identifier in URLs (which also generally has no
> significant meaning for image URLs), thus coming up with something like:
>
>    http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/ptart-1c.gif#height=20#alt=Pop_Tarts
>
> I'm not real happy or comfortable with usurping the URL syntax in this
> way, but I haven't come up with many better solutions.  All comments,
> discussion, and yay/nay votes are greatly appreciated.

Using fragments (though strange) works for me.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com