[Pmwiki-users] Re: Image sizes, alt tags, and more (was: Image display resizing problem)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Mar 2 08:15:07 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:57:30AM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> > Pm wrote:
> > >In particular, let's make use of the query string
> > >parameter on image URLs, which isn't commonly used (I'm not aware of
> > >any sites that use this).
>
> I'd even prever having it disabled be default...
> This is what I'm worried about.. an example where you'll need the
> query string is if you access a map server.

Yes, but how many map servers actually use the query string with
a .gif/.jpg/.png URL?  Most of the ones I've seen are a cgi-bin
script or use something other than an image extension in the URL.

That said, I'm probably going to go with the fragment identifier
syntax; i.e.,
   http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/ptart-1c.gif#height=40&alt=Pop_Tarts

> Are '%' allowed in URIs? If not, how about:
>     http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/ptart-1c.gif%height=20 alt=Pop_Tarts%

% have very special meaning in URIs, and spaces are not allowed.
Plus the %...% in this last example looks too much like a WikiStyle,
which generally affect the things that come after the style, not before.

I *can* make image sizes/alt-text work correctly with wikistyles; i.e.,

   %height=20 alt=Pop_Tarts% http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/ptart-1c.gif

it just seemed to me that something like http://.../ptart-1c.gif#alt=Pop_Tarts
might be a bit more natural syntax as well as making the implementation
substantially easier (not that *anything* about specifying alt= text
is natural in markup :-).