[Pmwiki-users] installation / upgrades

Knut Alboldt pmwiki
Sat Nov 6 14:51:10 CST 2004

ok, just a question before pmwiki v2 "goes live" (from develop).

concerning the installation of pmwiki v2 I think it's rather straight and
easy to do. At least on the sites I tested (w2k, apache 1.3.27, php4.3.5 as
cgi and linux / apache 1.3.x php (don't know how).

On the win-site I've to customize
   $ScriptUrl  = $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'];
   $PubDirUrl  = "$wikibaseurl/$pmwikipgmdir/pub";  # has to be set,
otherwise = php.exe path
   $EnableLocalConfig = 0;

(old stuff)
I think it's enough to document this.

ok. but there will be the day when I want to upgrade to a newer release
(of  version 2) - as we all did in the past for (almost) every develop-release.

to do this I have to do the following right now:
1) rename current pmwiki-pgm-dir (if I'm using version-independent
pmwiki-pgm-dir-names)
2) create new pmwiki-pgm-dir from installationfile
3) copy my customized stuff from the old - and here it's starting to get a
bit complicating:
3a) copy oldpmwikipgmdir/local/*
3b) copy oldpmwikipgmdir/pub/* but not files that are delivered by new
installation
(my wiki-data and wiki-field-specific scripts are in a dir parallel to
pmwiki-pgm-dir)

If I only unpack the new archive into the old pmwiki-pgm-dir, then old
files will never be deleted

so I thought what's about separating the own customized stuff completely
from the basic pmwiki-pgm-dir ?
something like:
...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/  = basic pmwiki dir
...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/pmwiki.php = call of
...any-prefix/pmwiki/pmwikiv2/pmwiki.php (if needed)
...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/pmwiki2/ = basic pmwiki-installation with
the current dir-structure
...any-prefix-if-wanted/pmwiki/user/ = user's local, pub and possible other
dirs (mayby wiki.d-dirs too)

the installation archive will contain pmwiki/pmwiki2/* with all files and
sould be unpacked in "any-prefix-if-wanted"-dir
pmwiki/user/ could be anything else (pmwiki/own/,  pmwiki/userconfig/ etc),
it's just a sample.

so instead of searching scripts in pmwikipgmdir/local/ it will search for
user/local/ (e.g. for farmconfig.php, config.php, skins etc) The delivered
skin should be searched in /pmwiki2/pub/skins/

then if an update has to be done, simply replace all in
.../pmwiki2/pmwiki2/ by the contents of the new archive

Knut