[Pmwiki-users] external links in page history

Neil Herber nospam
Mon Nov 29 07:38:49 CST 2004

At 2004-11-29  07:12 AM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>Now then, having the links in the page history doesn't help the spammers,
>because the page history output contains <meta> information that tells
>Google not to index those pages.  Unfortunately, the wikispammers may not
>realize this, so they're happy to keep spamming as long as their links
>appear in the page history.
>
>So, the obvious suggestion is to prevent such links from appearing as links
>in the page history -- i.e., let the link address appear but not as a link.
>This would make it clearer to a wikispammer that the page history isn't
>going to help them much.  Alternatively, external links in the page history
>could be converted entirely to non-http: text.

I doubt very much that spammers look at META information or read
"robots.txt" files, so the fact that the link appears at all - even as
straight text - will keep them coming back. However, conversion to
non-http: text is a good first step.

Is the solution to this problem not something like the blacklist plugin? I
know there are an unlimited number of spammers with unlimited resources,
but having some portion of the posts bounced will at least reduce the load
on the Wiki users and admins.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/