[Pmwiki-users] can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday
Wed Oct 13 13:37:13 CDT 2004

  someone who knows what i'm trying to do pointed me at this package,
so let me explain what i'm after, and you can all tell me why it's
impossible. :-)

  i want a wiki or wiki-like package that will allow several people to
collaborate on creating content (so far, so good), but will also allow
me to restructure the hierarchy of that content at will without having
to torture myself with page names that try to keep up.

  as an example, say part of my wiki is devoted to "linux", and i
initially have a subsection devoted to "sound".  this suggests that
the top page might have the name "Linux", while the first page of the
sound section might be "LinuxSound" (just to distinguish it from some
other top-level section that might have a totally unrelated "sound"
section).

  and now, the first page of each section and/or subsection might
always have a brief overview, so now we have the page
"LinuxSoundOverview".  getting uglier by the minute, but as i
understand it, that's how wikis work -- since all pages are stored in
the same directory, they have to be unique across the entire wiki.

  now, sometime down the road, i decide that sound shouldn't be a
direct subtopic under linux.  rather, it makes more sense that should
be part of the linux subtopic "multimedia". hence, the pages

  LinuxMultimediaSound
  LinuxMultimediaSoundOverview

and so on.  and you can see how a simple restructuring requires me to
rename all of the affected pages.

  if i'm in one of these subsections, i'm trying hard to not have to
name the pages LinuxSect1Sect2Sect3...Overview.  it would be nice if i
could just call the page "Overview", knowing that it won't clash with
any other pages just in that section.

  is there any wiki that has this ability?  based on my reading, it
doesn't look like it, but i'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

rday