[Pmwiki-users] can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Oct 14 04:47:38 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:30:12PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i want a wiki or wiki-like package that will allow several people to
> collaborate on creating content (so far, so good), but will also allow
> me to restructure the hierarchy of that content at will without having
> to torture myself with page names that try to keep up.
>
>   as an example, say part of my wiki is devoted to "linux", and i
> initially have a subsection devoted to "sound".  this suggests that
> the top page might have the name "Linux", while the first page of the
> sound section might be "LinuxSound" (just to distinguish it from some
> other top-level section that might have a totally unrelated "sound"
> section). [...] as i
> understand it, that's how wikis work -- since all pages are stored in
> the same directory, they have to be unique across the entire wiki.

PmWiki uses the concept of WikiGroups to subdivide namespaces.  Thus, if
you wanted to have a set of pages about Linux, you would generate a
pages called Linux/Linux and Linux/Sound.  Wiki links remain within the
group unless qualified by a group name.

>   now, sometime down the road, i decide that sound shouldn't be a
> direct subtopic under linux.  rather, it makes more sense that should
> be part of the linux subtopic "multimedia". hence, the pages
>   LinuxMultimediaSound
>   LinuxMultimediaSoundOverview
> and so on.  and you can see how a simple restructuring requires me to
> rename all of the affected pages.

In PmWiki you would simply rename the pages (files) on disk to
reflect the new group ownership of each of the pages.