[Pmwiki-users] Relative and absolute search path (Was: ...hierarchical content?)

chr@home.se chr
Mon Oct 18 13:09:08 CDT 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Stefan Candea wrote:

> First, thanks for the reply.

You're welcome, oh btw, you just walked into a "swamp" :)  And I should
also say that I'm very much in favor of hierarchical content.

> It would be nice to have some 'smarter' defaults, however, due to the
> logic complexity it is not worth it (Unless some very clear definition or
> behaviour makes sense and is agreed upon - e.g. if page does not exist in
> the group [[A]] then refers to 1 group only, [[Definitions/]] for
> instance, defined by the Administrator, or some other default).

IIRC, PmWiki already allows an administrator to define a search path for
pages. I think this is what allows us to refer to /PmWiki/PmWiki by only
writing [[PmWiki]]. I.e. the default search path today looks for the
default page of a group, if it can't find the page in the current group.

In my experience this has worked well, and I can't remember any problem
with links suddenly pointing to the wrong place. But maybe that is because
we haven't had a real hierarchy before.

Anyway, I think I agree with you that it's probably a good idea to have a
very limited "relative search path". I think what you suggested can be
phrased as only looking for [[A]] among the child pages and the current
page. (Assuming we want to be able to link to the page we are on).

In addition to this, we could still have an "absolute search path", that
looks for the page in the top level. This would correspond to [[PmWiki]]
linking to /PmWiki.

So to summarize, maybe it'd be useful to think of this in terms of a
"relative search path" and an "absolute search path".

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr