[Pmwiki-users] Moving to Pmwiki 2

Knut Alboldt mailing
Tue Oct 19 14:13:48 CDT 2004

At 09:27 19.10.2004, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've started playing around with Pmwiki 1 (the standrad download from the
>site), but I would like to know:
>
>1) Is it advised to move now to Pmwiki 2 ? Or is it better to wait a bit ?
>I must say that the answers on the ML so far are a bit confusing, it seems
>as if almost everyone is using Pmwiki 2, although it is not (as far as I
>understand) a major release.

I still run one site on version 1 and starting at work (intranet) with
version 2 and a test migration from v1 to v2 at home.
Version 2 is much more easy to customize IMO (if you have to and willing to
analyse a bit, maybe you than could add some docs :-). I'm still checking
the version, but 'til now I can't find to much problems to run it. On the
other hand, I really must say a big Thank You to Patrick, who always gives
almost immediate answers on serious problemes (as well as others of this list)

>2) Is there a clear guide about what needs to be done to move to Pmwiki 2
>? In particular, do the pages need to be changed in any way (I certainly
>hope it is not the case) ?
>
>Thanks in advance for your wansers,
>
>Philippe

I would suggest: If starting a new wiki take version 2. Can't tell you what
work it may be if you're already running a version 1 wiki. I think that
strongly depend on how much you customized it (as I did :-). But again: the
"soft" migration, using concatenated wikis with the compatx1-script should
be no problem.

Knut