[Pmwiki-users] Re: Category implementation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Oct 28 12:59:50 CDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 08:38:32AM +0200, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
> Anyway, if you really start to implement it, why not making it a complete
> solution? Having said this, I'm thinking of categories as
> tags/parameters/classifiers of a page not as links.
> [...]
> Categories should be stored within the page (for easy backup purposes).
> [...]
> There will be checkboxes when editing a page to simply select all belonging
> categories.

This goes too far away from where I want to go with this.  Providing
checkboxes when editing a page doesn't work if there are dozens of
categories available, nor is it clear how those categories should be
presented.  Also, I work from a general rule that anything that things
that need to be stored/restored in the page history (and categories would
certainly qualify) should as much as possible appear in the markup and not
as separate attributes.

> The complete category tree will be shown with '(:categories:)'.

This somehow assumes that it's a tree (categories don't have to be
hierarchical) and that the complete set of categories reasonably fits
within a page.  I'm not sure I agree with either premise.

> Of course there can also be a text field where
> people just enter a comma seperated list of categories a page belongs to.

I already have one -- it's called the "edit box".  :-)