[Pmwiki-users] Category implementation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Oct 28 13:07:06 CDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 06:13:10PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 October 2004 3:53 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> I had rather thought that the link text would be '!XYZ', so ...
> [...]
> I *do* think the default behaviour should distinguish category
> links and the ! seems a gentle, non-intrusive way to do so.

I agree that it makes sense to distinguish category links, I'm not
sure that the ! is a gentle, non-intrusive way of doing it (especially
for new/non-authors).  When I tried it myself I wasn't that impressed
with seeing

    Category: !2004, !Horror, !Film

in my page output.  I felt that

    Category: 2004, Horror, Film

reads much better.  By analogy, author links display as "Pm" and not "~Pm".
Plus, the programmer in me kept seeing the bare !'s as meaning the page
did *not* belong to 2004, Horror, or Film. :-)

So, I agree fully that it's good to visually distinguish the category
links (which is why I sent my message), but using '!' doesn't feel like
the right answer.