[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Typesetting math -- experience using PmWiki

John Rankin john.rankin
Mon Sep 20 16:13:33 CDT 2004

On Tuesday, 21 September 2004 9:04 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On 17 Sep 2004, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> Have a look at pdf2you. For an example, see:
>> http://www.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/XMLWP/HomePage
>
>Very nice :-) ... although I still haven't gotten a PDF yet.

That's odd -- it should download automatically and fire up your
PDF reader... I just checked and it worked for me.

You *did* click on the PDF icon?

>PS. John, I think you should check out LyX (www.lyx.org) and give some
>test runs. Quite a bit of the thinking on XLMWP was similar to the
>thinking behind LyX. Especially the part about separating design of
>content and design of layout. Btw, you mentioned DocBook, and I know
>people use LyX to write that.
>
>Anyway, I don't mean you necessarily should use LyX for your regular
>writing, but to test it to give you inspiration and ideas of how writing
>can be with a tool that embraces WYSIWYM and is a 'document
>processor'.

<offTopicAside>

FWIW I trialled Lyx as part of our investigations of a replacement for
FrameMaker, after Adobe (may their stomachs catch fire and fry their
brains) announced there would be no Mac OS X version. Lyx is very nice,
but I fell over at step 1: our reports and papers have covers that
say Client Name, Report Title, Report Subtitle. The author's name goes
at the end of a paper but on the cover of a report.

I simply could not figure out how to change the default templates to
accommodate a 3 part heading... I eventually found a web page describing
how to customise Lyx templates and concluded this was not going to be
a trivial exercise.

But I agree, it's a very nice tool and I plan to come back to it.

>--
>Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44
>http://www.md.kth.se/~chr
>

>--