[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: notifications

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Sep 20 16:31:16 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:59:04AM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> >How about  Profiles/Christian-Notify ?  And one can always just create
> >a separate WikiGroup to hold notifications (i.e., Notify/Christian).
> >Best would be if the Cookbook module allows the target page(s) to be
> >parameterized.
>
> At the moment, since it was written before Profiles group existed, it
> puts all notify pages into a Notify group. The name of the group is
> configurable. A separate group works well for more keyword-style
> requirements; making it part of Profiles works better for personal
> notices.

Nice is if the configuration variable doesn't name a group but rather
the format for the complete resulting pagename.  For example, something
like

   $NotifyPageFmt = 'Profiles.$1-Notify';  # Profiles.Christian-Notify
   $NotifyPageFmt = 'Notify.$1';           # Notify.Christian
   $NotifyPageFmt = '$1.Notify';           # Christian.Notify
   $NotifyPageFmt = '$Group/$1-Notify';    # Christian-Notify in current group

This is what I've been doing for most other things in PmWiki (both 1 and 2).

> I was planning to convert it to PmWiki 2, which I hope should be
> easier than some of the other scripts...

It should be easier, which is why I volunteered to write (and support)
it.  :-)