search engine beware! Was: Re: [pmwiki-users] notice of current edit

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 15 10:27:12 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 04:03:43PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>> Here's a feature request: if a user turns out to be a spammer, have
>>  a function that undoes all his edits and elides them from the page
>>  history, too.
>
> Truly eliding things from the page history is a little tricky, as it
> requires rebuilding the intermediate diffs to preserve the edit
> chain.

It need not be efficient. Simply build intermediate versions and
construct the diffs from these.

> Plus, what to do when an author edits a spammed page but doesn't
> notice the spam?  Undoing the spammer's edit while retaining the
> author's subsequent edit is definitely more than I want to deal with.

I was more thinking along the lines of "simply don't show that change".

It wouldn't be enough though. Even if we could elide the activity of the
spammer from page history, we'd still see the activities of those who
removed the spam.

Yet I'd like to see a way to remove irrelevant history. I'll report back
when (and if) I have good ideas on that...

>> Also, make the history pages have noindex,nofollow
>
> PmWiki already does this.  In fact, PmWiki already puts
> noindex,nofollow on everything except ?action=browse.

Ah, now I see it. The lengthy CSS section made me overlook the meta tags
that come after it.

Regards,
Jo