search engine beware! Was: Re: [pmwiki-users] notice of current edit

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Fri Apr 15 10:59:55 CDT 2005

At 10:03 AM 4/15/2005, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>>Since no sane individual can see two different pages in the same second,
>
>Then count me among the insane. (Well, that might be accurate actually *ggg*)
>
>For examples, sometimes I right-click large bundles of links for "open in
>new tab"; the click rate is about 2 or 3 per second.

Wow, you're fast. So you open them for editing first, then start editing
later? Or symultaneously? OK, then my idea won't work for you. As I
mentioned this was for a Project Management context, where you probably
know who's working and you could refrain from opening several pages per second.

>Web crawlers already have counteracted that measure. wget, for example,
>has options to set arbitrary intervals when in "suck-the-site" mode.

Hmmmm... That's a toughie. So you're right, no need to go to these lengths.
I suppose the project site would be pasworded anyway, so crawlers won't
trip the "This page is being edited" note.

>I don't think the problem is serious enough to warrant exclusion of
>legitimate requests.

True.

>Here's a feature request: if a user turns out to be a spammer, have a
>function that undoes all his edits and elides them from the page history,
>too. Also, make the history pages have noindex,nofollow (otherwise, a wiki
>spammer would not mind to have his spam removed - as long as it's
>available via the page history function, it's still a link farm and useful
>for him).

Cool.

Cheers,
Radu