[pmwiki-users] audiences revisited or revised ???

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 4 20:23:59 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 08:25:40PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> >In general I'd prefer to stick with "authors", "admins", and "readers",
> >and perhaps use "all" or "person" when we're referring to someone
> >who could be in any of these roles.  This isn't to say that we
> >can never use the word "user" in the docs, but I'd hate to formalize
> >its usage.
>
> I think you will eventually reach the posting I made where I agreed with
> V.Krishn that the audiences should be: readers, authors, and admins. A
> collective noun to describe them all could be "users" - it rolls off the
> tongue a little easier than "audiences".

My objection is to designating "user" as a (or the) collective noun
to describe them all.  I think that new readers won't recognize
that we're using "user" to mean "authors, admins, and readers" --
they'll assume we meant only a subset of these roles since it's
so often used that way by others.

But it's probably not worth worrying about.  I'll be very happy
to get *any* contributions to the documentation, "user" or no,
and then I can do a search for all of the pages containing "user"
and fix it.  :-)