[pmwiki-users] View modes

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 00:25:53 CDT 2005

On 8/8/05, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
> I'm proposing that we create a registry of functionality (in order to
> avoid the reduplication we saw in the past with recipes), then we
> allow the admins to map functionality into the current skin (which
> needs to be view-friendly), individually or in groups. So I could
> just go to a Site.Settings page and add a calendar in the right bar,
> or I could choose a default layout with several functions enabled.

While turning certain functions on or off would be great, it also
might be hairy for skin designers to implement.  How is all this stuff
going to be inserted?  How will PmWiki and the admin know just where
it will be shown in the layout?  What about all the stuff added by
cookbook recipes?  Will all skins have to be coded to accept all of it
in order to have views at all?

As a base, the standard needs to contain descriptions of the four
standard views, and detail each view's purpose, required functions,
and recommended features.  The simplest (though not necessarily best)
path from there is to let skin designers decide how to arrange the
controls and content, and how much and what kind of customizability
they will provide.

Shortly, once Hans' script is a little more hammered out, we skin
designers should try making view-supporting skins and see what
techniques work best for changing the controls and providing ways to
customize the setup, before casting everything in stone.

Bronwyn