[pmwiki-users] Re: Recommended URL for examples . . .

bram bram at brambring.nl
Wed Aug 10 12:27:26 CDT 2005

Ben Wilson wrote:
> In further support of my propose, I submit
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt:
>
> "There is a need for top level domain (TLD) names that can be used for
> creating names which, without fear of conflicts with current or future
> actual TLD names in the global DNS, can be used for private testing of
> existing DNS related code, examples in documentation, DNS related
> experimentation, invalid DNS names, or other similar uses."
>
> "To safely satisfy these needs, four domain names are reserved as
> listed and described:                    .test .example .invalid
> .localhost"
>
> "'.example' is recommended for use in documentation or as examples."

Hi

this refers to the top-level thus you could use:

www.microsoft.example  as example

however section 3 of the rfc gives the domain names descripted earlier:

3. Reserved Example Second Level Domain Names

    The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) also currently has the
    following second level domain names reserved which can be used as
    examples.

         example.com
         example.net
         example.org