[pmwiki-users]SEO: Avoiding Headings in the SideBar

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 21:25:50 CDT 2005

On 8/15/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Beyond that, if any existing sites were terribly concerned about
> SEO before now it hasn't been strongly expressed.  :-)

I think wanting SEO goes without saying.  If the SEO consequences of
using H1's in the sidebar were known, I suspect there would have been
some strong expression long ago!

Concern for PmWiki encouraging good semantic structure has been expressed.
http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-January/008959.html

You ended up tweaking the button bar just right for promoting good
structure in wiki pages.  Thanks again for that.

> > I've concluded from your messages to the list that you want to change
> > the level of heading, not eliminate headings in the sidebar
> > altogether.
>
> Nope.  You must've missed the memo... :-)
> http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-August/016908.html

My sincere apologies.  I did indeed gloss over the memo.  To compound
that, when I read

> Not likely -- I don't think the sidebar deserves its own markup.  If
> we come up with a markup that also has meaning in other pages, then
> maybe.

I was thinking a special sidebar-heading wikistyle counted as the
sidebar's own markup.

Anyway, thanks. I'll be glad to see headings gone from the sidebar.

Hagan