[pmwiki-users] PmWiki 2.0.beta55 released

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Aug 25 13:31:04 CDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 01:12:57PM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:28:36PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > The (:include:) directive now allows a list of pages to be searched
> > for inclusion; the first existing page is selected.  Thus the markup
> >
> >     (:include Page1 Page2 Page3:)
> >
> > includes the contents of the first available of Page1, Page2, or Page3.
>
> Those semantics make me want it called (:include_one_of:) or something.
> Just looking at it, I'd expect that line to mean "include Page1, then
> include Page2, then include Page3"

Nope, that'd be  (:include Page1:)(:include Page2:)(:include Page3:).

> Could this behavior be mediated by a parameter to include?
>
> 	(:include -one Page1 Page2 Page3:)
> 	(:include -all Page1 Page2 Page3:)

I'd prefer not to do this.  Because the next step on the slippery
slope is to want to be able to write

     (:include -all Calendar.*:)

and it seems to me that (:pagelist:) is better for this.

It's better to just think that (:include:) always includes at most
one page.

> "Extra newlines"?  If it's preformatted text, how do you know which
> are "extra"?  Or do you mean that newlines aren't generated for the
> first or last lines in something like this:
>
> [@
> foo bar baz
> @]

Newlines are *smartly* generated for the first and last lines in
something like the above -- i.e., to give you what you'd expect
(or if it doesn't, then make it semi-obvious what you can do to fix
it).