[pmwiki-users] Change to Cookbook

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Dec 2 07:44:23 CST 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:21:00AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Friday, December 2, 2005, 5:22:20 AM, DaveG wrote:
> > I've made a change to the cookbook NewPageBox, so that the functionality
> > of both NewPageBox and NewPageBox2 are incorporated in a single script.
> > What's the appropriate process for updating the cookbook entry on the
> > wiki? Is it acceptable to just update the page and replace the script?
>
> I think replacing an existing script should only be done in
> consultation and with full approval of the author of it.
>
> Could you perhaps upload your modified script as newpagebox3.php and
> describe it on the page as another synthesizing alternative?
> Then we can evaluate it, and if Patrick wants to withdraw his original
> newpagebox script and I my left-hand modified version of it, we could
> do so.

I agree with Hans here.  There have been a few times where people
have overwritten one of my Cookbook scripts with an "enhanced"
version that ended up being more difficult to use, applicable only
to specific server configurations, contained bugs, or
introduced security holes.

In general I'd say that cookbook replacements should probably
do one of:
   - replace with original author's approval
   - add the new version to the existing page
   - create a new cookbook page and cross link with the earlier one