[pmwiki-users] A problem with HTML validation and including subsections

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:21:23 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> PmWiki doesn't guarantee that anything an author does will always
> produce valid HTML.  In particular, if an author writes
>
>     [[#list]]
>     [[#list]]
>
> then PmWiki doesn't do anything to try to resolve it.  But maybe
> that's the solution -- the anchor markup could keep track of which
> anchors have been rendered and simply ignore any instances of an
> anchor past the first one (and include can then be left as-is).

Makes sense to me. Even if an author (or site admin) could care less
about validation (shame, shame) the browser will only ever jump to the
first instance of the anchor and always ignore the second one. I can
see no harm in simply removing/ignoring any additional anchors.

Perhaps, as an alternative option, the site admin could configure it
to add a counter to identical anchors. That way, the above example
would result in the anchors "#list" and "#list2", or something like
that. Feel free to ignore this silly idea.

--
----
Waylan Limberg
waylan at gmail.com