[pmwiki-users] A problem with HTML validation and including subsections

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Dec 15 16:02:12 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:21:23PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:

> Perhaps, as an alternative option, the site admin could configure it
> to add a counter to identical anchors. That way, the above example
> would result in the anchors "#list" and "#list2", or something like
> that. Feel free to ignore this silly idea.

It's not that silly of an idea, and we could leave it as an option.
But there's always the case where an author writes (or inadvertently
causes via an include or other construct)

    [[#list]]             # left alone
    [[#list]]             # renamed to #list2
    [[#list2]]            # oops, #list2 already exists, rename to #list3
    [[#list3]]            # oops, #list3 already exists, rename to #list4

and all of the anchors which were originally unique end up being named
something else.  :-|

I'm in favor of simply omitting/ignoring duplicates, since that's what
the browsers tend to do anyway.