[pmwiki-users] how does one encode "file:" link in a wiki page?

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Tue Feb 1 11:22:36 CST 2005

At 2005-02-01  11:57 AM -0500, Gautam H. Thaker is rumored to have said:
>"For security reasons, Mozilla does not allow web content to link to local
>files. An error like:Security Error: Content at url may not load or link
>to file:///something will appear in the javascript console. If you need to
>follow links to local paths it is recommended that you drag the link to
>the location bar and then drop it on the webpage. If you really don't like
>the security check and are willing to risk all files on your system and
>that your system can access then you may add the following line to user.js
>in your personal profile directory. user_pref("security.checkloaduri",
>false); (Bug 84128)"

This sounds like FUD to me. If the sole change is that the user can display
local files locally, then what is the security hole?

If by turning off this "security check" what access does it give remote
hosts or scripts to your system?

Am I missing something here? Or is this really a useless feature?

However, I did try their dragging protocol without changing the security
settings and it does work!
         ... drag the link to the location bar and then drop it on the
webpage ...

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/