[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about HTML output for link targets

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Feb 7 14:29:11 CST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:09:40AM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > PmWiki would likely default to a relative setting for $ScriptUrl, and
> > > use $ScriptHostUrl in those places where it's known that relative uris
> > > have caused trouble in the past (i.e., search forms, mailpost scripts,
> > > etc.).
> >
> > Why not use $ScriptRelativeUrl for the URL that's supposed to be relative,
> > and $ScriptAbsoluteUrl for a URL that's always absolute?
>
> Only because it's a little *too* verbose and that there's a lot of
> stuff that depends on $ScriptUrl.  I'd like $ScriptUrl to continue to be
> the variable that does what one tends to expect (i.e., build the base
> reference to the wiki), with another variable to handle the case where
> $ScriptUrl doesn't work as-is.

I can see why you'd want to keep $ScriptUrl (not breaking stuff is a
strong reason :-)  You answered this before, but just to verify...  would
you then prefer this solution:
* $ScriptUrl - a link to the pmwiki script, typically a relative URI but
  it might also be absolute.
* $ScriptAbsUrl - an absolute link to the pmwiki script

Alternative names for $ScriptAbsUrl were $ScriptAbsoluteUrl and
$ScriptHostUrl? (I think I'd prefer $ScriptAbsUrl).

Btw, what about the cases when you're using *really* short link names? As
it is right now, I've finally gotten wiki.lyx.org to work with page URIs
such as http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/FAQ. This means however that
	$ScriptUrl = ''
so something that uses the '?n=...' will produce a URI like
	http://wiki.lyx.org/?n=...
which complicates things...

Do we need a special case for when you absolute want to refer to the
specific .php-script? (which would be http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php in
this particular case).

/Christian