[pmwiki-users] using PITS as a project manager

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 23:26:18 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 06:02:12PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> Those interested, have a look at:
> http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/pmwiki2/index.php?n=Issues.Issues

This is very good!

> I think a good test would be to choose one of the several suggested
> uses and set up a form for it. So let's identify candidates and then
> pick one. The following people (and possibly others I missed) have
> noted interest:
>
> Hugo Fjelsted Alrøe
> Neil Herber
> Luca Marletta (time sheets)
> Knut Alboldt (problem management)
> pyg_listes (project tasks)
>
> The candidate needs to be simple enough to be manageable and rich
> enough to exercise the capabilities.

What about re-implementing PITS?

> From the look of it, we may even
> end up with a complete, forms-based wiki project control system. Add
> in the wiki calendar and you have progress reporting as well.

Nifty.

> The main thing that's stopping me releasing it as a recipe is that the
> template markup is undocumented and can probably be improved.

If you're going to release it anyway, put it up now with big "Caveat
Emptor" signs everywhere and invite people to document it, etc.  As
long as people understand that this is alpha or beta code it shouldn't
be too bad.  (Though you'll have to be prepared for the flood of
questions from the early adopters)

> But being able to define a form using a wiki page template is
> definitely the way to go.

Indeed.

> However, changing the template will seriously break editing of
> existing records.

You could add button that, when clicked, causes the template to become
immutable without some extraordinary action. That would at least
mitigate people shooting themselves in the foot.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com