[pmwiki-users] Calendar recipy

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Feb 9 19:12:22 CST 2005

On Thursday, 10 February 2005 11:18 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
>Hi John
>
>I was just testing the Calendar recipy and it looks very nice, here's some
>inital comments though:
>
>* I was slightly confused that wikilog.php was the one to use for pmwiki-2

I have clarified the wording to say this is the version for pmwiki 2

>* Maybe wikilog.php also could check for the i18.php in the cookbook
>  directory by default?

Good idea! The recipe hasn't caught up with everything in PmWiki 2 yet.

>* I don't have a pub/css/ in my standard installation? Should there be
>  one?

You'll need to create it. It's not clear to me where recipe .css files are
supposed to go. It's not a skin, so it doesn't belong in pub/skins.
So I left the .css where it was in PmWiki 1.

>A general comment:
>* It's slightly confusing with the script called 'wikilog' when the
>  example is so extremely calendar-oriented. Is the functionality of a
>  log and a calendar so similar?
>* Same goes for the directive (:wikilog:)...

<boringHistory>
When I were a lad, I was taught that experimental scientists always
kept a lab book with a daily log of activities. Like a ship's log.
James Cook's log book from the Endeavour voyages makes grim reading.
He had some unrelentingly bad hair days. You can tell from the names
he gave to places: Cape Tribulation, Cape Foulwind, Murderers' Bay...

Lab books were invariably stained, burnt, torn and dog-eared. Like
their authors.

So the original idea behind the wikilog was just for a web-based
project log book. But what people see is a calendar and it just
became easier to explain it in those terms. But it's not really
a calendar; it has no pictures of snow-capped mountains,
tumbling brooks, happy smiling children, or cute cats. Or
ruddy hobbits. We could of course add such features (as long as
there are no hobbits).

And it was just too hard to come up with a new name and markup.
The name 'wikilog' creates no pre-conceived notions about what
it "should" do. All the others I could think of were freighted
with too much cultural baggage.

</boringHistory>

>Oh, and I think some of the defaults should different (international dates
>for instance... right now I got an entry for 10.02.2005...).

That is a piece of childish antipodean revenge for all the
software that comes pre-configured to 8.5 by 11 paper and
2/10/2005 dates. As you say, it's configurable.

>But all in all it looks very good, I'm impressed so far!

Thank you, and do note that the piece of code to generate
the calendar comes from another open source program. I
credit the author in the code comments.
--
JR