[pmwiki-users] Safe Mode Solution (Revisited)

H. Fox HaganFox at Users.SourceForge.net
Fri Feb 11 23:00:09 CST 2005

Recently Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> The *only* way for things to work in safe_mode is to manually create
> the needed directories and set their permissions to 777, as outlined
> at the beginning of this section.

Actually there's another, IMHO "more secure", way for things to work in
safe_mode.

Briefly, the safe_mode problem is caused by a "UID compare check", which
can be relaxed to a "GID compare check" by setting

  safe_mode_gid = On

in the PHP configuration file (php.ini) and restarting the web server.

In my testing (on Mandrake and Debian), turning on safe_mode_gid has
completely solved the server-can't-read-files-it-created problem, which
means no world-writable directories or wiki pages are necessary.

I posted a note about this to the list and added to a page on pmwiki.org
last April.  The page seems to have disappeared along with the v1 wiki.

This time I went a little farther and adapted a page from the Qdig web
site, so now there's a PmWiki-specific document.  The draft is in the
Test group because I wasn't sure which group was appropriate.  The page
(in its eventual location) will give someone a convenient reference for
their web service provider to read.

Hagan

Links:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/SafeModeGID

"[Pmwiki-users] Safe Mode Solution: Turn safe_mode_gid On"
http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2004-April/004423.html