[Pmwiki-users] Idea for extension of special list syntax

chr@home.se chr
Thu Jan 20 08:01:38 CST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-01-20  03:19 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> >* Here is another... long line .... \
> >   continued item.
> >
> >What I'm suggesting is that you don't have to use the '\' to signify that
> >the item continues, but instead use the indentation for this purpose. How
> >it'd look is illustrated above.
>
> I must be missing your point.
>
> If I put these lines into PmWIki:
> * short item
> * longer item
> * this is an incredibly long item that will end up occupying several lines
> in a list but PmWiki will very cleverly indent subsequent lines to  match
> the indent after the bullet
>
> the indentation of the 3rd item is automatic.

Ah... thanks for letting me know that I wasn't being clear enough.

In current PmWiki, the markup below will result in a text paragraph
after the third item starting with 'that will end...' because there
is a CR/LF at the end of '... long item'.

	* short item
	* longer item
	* this is an incredibly long item
	that will end up occupying several
	lines.

In current PmWiki, you'd have to write the following to get the desired
resulte:

	* short item
	* longer item
	* this is an incredibly long item 	\
	that will end up occupying several	\
	lines.

What I would like is to be able to write the following:

	* short item
	* longer item
	* this is an incredibly long item
	  that will end up occupying several
	  lines.

where you should note the extra two spaces before "that will end...".
Hopefully PmWiki could recognize that the line before "  that will..." is
an item, with it's item text starting at column 2 in this case, and then
recognize that the next line starts with 2 spaces and therefore actually
belongs to the same item.

As for the conflict with the code markup, there is some leeway here, since
	* an item
	*another item
	*     a third item
all are recoginzed as items. If we therefore are forced to have a code
section just after the item, we could write something like this:

	*    an item that shouldn't pull in the next line
	  code text

Ooops... hope I didn't confuse you with the last bit... :-)

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr