[pmwiki-users] Div Markup + Wiki Styles for Image Placement

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sat Jul 9 17:59:38 CDT 2005

On Sunday 10 July 2005 01:21, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 05:43:45PM +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:
> >
> > BTW, in my very limited experience with clients on our pcug-pmwiki
> > (http://www.pcug.org.au/oss/2/pmwiki.php),
> > I had some users asking about the margin around pictures and claiming that
> > this was the most important feature that was missing from pmwiki.
>
> Believe it or not, I tend to agree.  We just need to figure out how
> it should work from an author perspective (what markup to use) and
> what can be accomplished within the constraints of HTML and CSS.

Great!  It would be  useful to have some kind of default setting, so that mugs
such as I would get their pictures in a reasonable format without text
running right up against it.

> > My home pmwiki (on localhost) is beta40 (and will probably be updated
> > tonight) , but the pcug-pmwiki is still beta36. I have grown scared of
> > updating, but will do so to get the "margin around pictures" for our
users.

> PmWiki tries really hard to make updating safe.  But if you're concerned
> about protecting the site content, it's a really good idea to simply
> make a copy of the wiki.d/ directory (and perhaps uploads/ also).  If
> anything goes wrong, it's relatively easy to restore these directories
> back to the server.
>
> Pm

I really admire the ease of updating of pmwiki - in spite of not having shell
access (and being an old foggie - my brain is getting gradually scrambled and
that annoys me intensely) I have been updating the pmwiki on pcug-TIP (The
Internet Project) server fairly regularly.  I've just downloaded all the data
from the pcug site onto my PC, so I do have a backup.  Unfortunately, the
"ownership" of files has been changed during the download and would be
changed when uploading, so that a failure would require help from the
pcug-TIP administrators to change the permissions on the uploaded files.  It
is enough to scare me away from frequent updates.  I think that this is
purely our (my and TIP) local problem and that pmwiki is as easy to update as
it could possibly be.  I am so impressed with the ease and, so far, safety of
updating!

Thank you all - my best wishes go to you, Patrick - great achievement that you
deserve to be proud of!

Al.
--
Algis Kabaila  http://www.pcug.org.au/~akabaila