[pmwiki-users] Standalone pmwiki??

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sat Jul 23 20:33:27 CDT 2005

On Jul 23, 2005, at 6:03 PM, monkeybrain wrote:

> Hello i am wondering if there is a way to run pmwiki without having
> a webserver somewhere or installing apache or similar serves on my
> laptop?
> i know there are alot of wikis outthere you can install on your
> laptop without running heavy server software
> like these
>
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PersonalWiki
>
> But i really like pmwiki and i do not want to use another wiki at
> this point. Because i already have pages in pmwiki.
>
> thank you

At this time PmWiki is in PHP -- you need a PHP interpreter to run
PmWiki because PHP is a scripting language and can't (to my
knowledge) be compiled as an application.

I run it on my mac laptop, using the laptop as a webserver because
Apache & PHP are already installed (http://localhost/).  If you are
running windows you can install web software on your laptop and
install PmWiki... otherwise you need a different method of
interpreting PHP...  I haven't tried running PmWiki on the command
line with only PHP (not Apache).

I just tried it and it works OK (although it outputs HTML) (I did
php -f pmwiki.php > test.html
  -- then open test.html in a browser.  Not bad.  Needs a little work
though.)

So first thing you would need is to install at least PHP on the
computer...and go from there.  A massively stripped down skin and
changes to config.php might work...then a script on the operating
system to open and close pages, and serve up the resulting text in
your browser...???

I don't know how well it would work as a command line application --
but the interface would definitely need tweaking, and the pmwiki
emacs editor mode would probably be necessary for page editing.

What operating system is your laptop using?

Crisses
--
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main.  If a clod be washed away by the sea,