[pmwiki-users] Re: wiki farm vs individual programs

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 2 23:06:43 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:03:44PM -0500, Jon Haupt wrote:
>    [...] ***and
>    then create a symlink or webserver alias so that /farmpub points to the
>    farm's pub/ directory, and then set $FarmPubDirUrl = '/farmpub'; in
>    farmconfig.php.***"
>
>    So, after doing a little searching around, I put the following type of
>    thing (with the correct paths) in my .htaccess (in the wiki field
>    directory):
>
>      #Alias for /pub directory
>      Alias /farmpub /path/to/pmwiki/pub
>        <Directory /path/to/pmwiki/pub>
>          Order allow,deny
>          Allow from all
>        </Directory>

Alas, Apache doesn't allow the "Alias" directive in .htaccess files --
they can only be placed in the server-wide configuration or vhosts
configuration (i.e., in httpd.conf).  This generated the 500 error.

>    So then I tried using a "symlink".  Again I didn't know what i was doing
>    so I just looked it up and ended up using the following command to create
>    a link (from the field /pub directory):
>
>    ln -s /path/to/pmwiki/pub farmpub

This is pretty close -- except you probably want farmpub/ to be in your
document root directory, not in the field's pub directory.  In other
words, wherever the url http://yourserver/farmpub would reference, that's
where you want the symlink from "farmpub" to the farm's actual pub/
directory.

You also have to make sure that the webserver has permission to the
farm's pub/ directory -- at minimum this means having execute permissions
on each of the directories /path, /path/to, /path/to/pmwiki, and
/path/to/pmwiki/pub .