[pmwiki-users] Re: wiki farm vs individual programs

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Jun 3 01:24:47 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:03:44PM -0500, Jon Haupt wrote:
>
>>   So then I tried using a "symlink".  Again I didn't know what i was doing
>>   so I just looked it up and ended up using the following command to create
>>   a link (from the field /pub directory):
>>
>>   ln -s /path/to/pmwiki/pub farmpub
>
> [...]
>
> You also have to make sure that the webserver has permission to the
> farm's pub/ directory -- at minimum this means having execute permissions
> on each of the directories /path, /path/to, /path/to/pmwiki, and
> /path/to/pmwiki/pub .

Apache may or may not follow symlinks as well - it's a configuration
option. If it's switched off, you can often activate it in .htaccess with

   Options +FollowSymLinks

in the directory that has the symlink (or one of its ancestor directories).

Whether an option is allowed or not in .htaccess can be configured in
Apache, so it is possible that symlinks can't be made to work. I suggest
setting up a test that checks just whether symlinks work, say, by
installing a simple .html file, creating a symlink to it from the same
directory, then retrieve the file and the symlink and see whether the
symlink gets served.

Regards,
Jo