[pmwiki-users] Re: wiki farm vs individual programs

Jon Haupt jhaupt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:54:21 CDT 2005

Okay - I tried both Neil's solution and the Pm/Jo solution, and the
following happened:

Neil's solution works if the pmwiki directory is still in the public html
realm (for me, /var/www/blah.blah). Unfortunately, I'm in hosted server
space and have no access to httpd.conf, so I have to tweak his solution for
.htaccess files, but it does work like clockwork. It still seems like it'd
be best to get it out of that realm and into the non-public area (for me,
/home/blah) -- while you can't run pmwiki.php, you could still get in and
run the scripts, or whatever. So I tried putting the symlink (to
/home/blah/pmwiki/pub) in the document root, and setting up the
+FollowSymLinks option in .htaccess, and that worked to some extent. Now
everything appears to work except the CSS & the images (anything that is
accessed directly by the browser), and I get 403: "You don't have permission
to access /farmpub/skins/pmwiki/pmwiki.css on this server". permissions on
the folder are 777. Do you think that there is some kind of permission
override or am I still not "getting it"?

Jon

On 6/3/05, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:

> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:03:44PM -0500, Jon Haupt wrote:
> >
> >> So then I tried using a "symlink". Again I didn't know what i was doing
> >> so I just looked it up and ended up using the following command to
> create
> >> a link (from the field /pub directory):
> >>
> >> ln -s /path/to/pmwiki/pub farmpub
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > You also have to make sure that the webserver has permission to the
> > farm's pub/ directory -- at minimum this means having execute
> permissions
> > on each of the directories /path, /path/to, /path/to/pmwiki, and
> > /path/to/pmwiki/pub .
>
> Apache may or may not follow symlinks as well - it's a configuration
> option. If it's switched off, you can often activate it in .htaccess with
>
> Options +FollowSymLinks
>
> in the directory that has the symlink (or one of its ancestor
> directories).
>
> Whether an option is allowed or not in .htaccess can be configured in
> Apache, so it is possible that symlinks can't be made to work. I suggest
> setting up a test that checks just whether symlinks work, say, by
> installing a simple .html file, creating a symlink to it from the same
> directory, then retrieve the file and the symlink and see whether the
> symlink gets served.
>
> Regards,
> Jo

Jon Haupt