[pmwiki-users] "Site" under construction

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 16 14:54:58 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 08:41:27PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> I just wonder what the implications are for skin authors.
> I take it that nothing needs to change in the existing skins, since
> request for for instance Main.SideBar are automatically rerouted.

Well, after thinking about it more over rollerskates, I think each
file may end up having its own handling.  More on this in a
message a bit later.  But in general I would expect existing skins
to continue to work "automatically" for at least the next few releases...

> But for the future skins should be updated I would think.
> Would the following be a right way to load the sidebar in the template
> for instance?:
> instead of
>    <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar Main.SideBar PmWikiAdmin.SideBar-->
> write
>    <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar $DefaultGroup.SideBar $SiteGroup.SideBar-->

Only if the skin believes that the default group's sidebar should
always be loaded.  The general case (and the one PmWiki-distributed
skins will be using) is going to be:

   <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar $SiteGroup.SideBar-->

Of course, skin designers and cookbook authors can feel relatively
comfortable introducing new "configuration" pages as needed into the
$SiteGroup -- but we should also endeavor to have some standards.
Perhaps we'll have a page on pmwiki.org that describes the Site.*
pages that are being used by various scripts...