[pmwiki-users] Re: field versus site ( was: Re: Utility pages)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Jun 17 04:54:45 CDT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-06-15  09:25 PM +0200, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> >However, please note that I so far haven't used fields to any extend. I
> >expect that I'll split the pages above into one group ('Site/') that is
> >shared by all fields, and then put a group called 'Field' in each field.
> >This is not done yet, but pages such as AllRecentChanges would probably
> >end up in this group 'Field/'. I'd also put the sidebar for each field
> >in that group. Anyway, I've written in a separate post about this.
>
> I am not sure that I can see any value to having a group called Field,
> since in a PmWIki farm, each field behaves like an (almost) entirely
> separate site. The proposed Site group would contain pages that are local
> to each field - just think of Site.AllRecentChanges for the best example. I
> am not sure that calling it Field.AllRecentChanges provide any useful
> information or separation of function.

Well, I'm using the fields more as a replacement for a page/group
hierarchy ...  the current wiki has this structure

	LyX/		- Main group for user's of LyX
	FAQ/		- FAQ for users about LyX
	Devel/		- Main group for developers
	DevelFAQ/	- FAQ for developers
	Site/		- AllRecentChanges etc

now using fields I'll get

	shared:Site/
	main:LyX/
	main:FAQ/
	Devel:Devel/
	Devel:FAQ/

with a hierarchy, I'd probably simply gone for

	Site/
	LyX/
	FAQ/
	.../	- lot's of groups for normal users
	Devel/	- A group with subgroups primarily meant for developers
	  FAQ/

But without hierarchy, I'm simply using a separate field for the
developers wiki pages. A possible disadvantage is that searches won't
search across the entire site, but only the current field. This might OTOH
also be considered an advantage since it reduces the scope of the search.

Anyway, I'm new at fields so I'm just trying it out now to see how it
works.

/Christian