[pmwiki-users] Google: sitemap_gen.py

Nils Knappmeier nk at knappi.org
Wed Jun 29 01:35:27 CDT 2005

> A PmWiki site should be able to participate like any other site.
>
> Since PmWiki knows when a site is changed, it could do its own Sitemap
> Generator script and automatically notify Google of every single
> change.  (...)

Notify Google of every single change... I would just like to remind you
all that Google is not the only search engine out there, although
sometimes it might seem that way.
In fact, there is some competition out there.
A sitemap that is polled by the search engine might be useful for all of
them, but with a notification, it is hard to implement something that
doesn't give one search engine an advantage over another. And I think it
should not be the business of an Open Source Server Software to favor
one commercial search engine over another.

I think, the general idea is good. In fact, a system that allows the
notification of changes to other web sites might also be useful for
people who want to keep an eye on multiple PmWikis at the same time.

I just wanted to diplay my concerns for the google thing... It is
already true, that sites that Google doesn't find,  "don't exist". And
helping Google in solidifying its position as market leader might one
day lead so far the site that Google doesn't want to find, don't
exist... Just look at the Google-and-China thing.

Nils