[pmwiki-users] names - files, groups, pages

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Mon Mar 14 14:28:41 CST 2005

At 2005-03-13  09:23 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:53:55AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> > However, when somebody edits a page and saves it, W quite cheerfully
> > renames the saved file to correspond to the "current" case. This then
> leads
> > to very confusing entries in Main.RecentChanges where it looks like there
> > are three pages called sidebar with variations in capitalization. My
> > understanding is that if I was running this under the crunchy goodness
> (TM)
> > of Unix, there really would be three separate files, which is perhaps even
> > more confusing to the average author.
> >
> > Is there a good solution to this? For my money, having PmWiki force
> > filenames to all lower case would work. Can I add this as a local config
> > item?
>
>Unfortunately, it's more than just forcing filenames to all lower case,
>as PmWiki also uses the filenames to determine the original case of the
>page names -- e.g., for (:pagelist:) and friends.
>
>However, it would be very possible for me to get Main.RecentChanges
>to correctly do replacements case-insensitively, which solves the
>problem described above.
>
>Pm

Except there is a real problem for (:pagelist:), which you can see clearly
at the bottom of this page:

         http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/index.php/Main/HomePage

where (:pagelist:) shows two entries: WikiSandBox and WikiSandbox. The
links both resolve to the same page, which is the sandbox in my Main group.
My suspicion is that the second entry is there because of the file
Main.WikiSandbox in wikilib.d. The file currently stored in wiki.d is
Main.WikiSandBox. But, of course, Windoze sees them as the same name.

Note that if somebody uses the lowercase link to navigate to the sand box
and saves an edit there, then the two entries in (:pagelist:) become one.
For a while I was questioning my sanity because the cases seemed to toggle
at will.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/