[pmwiki-users] Variables in localmap.txt (Was: clean URLs for wikifarm in

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 16 11:51:12 CST 2005

At 2005-03-16  09:58 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>We also have the outstanding issue (from Neil Herber, I believe), of
>wanting to be able to place things in the localmap.txt file that result
>in substitutions but don't require the colon, so that certain barewords
>always result in links.  For example, some sort of notation that would
>allow
>
>     Pm            http://www.pmichaud.com/
>
>to always convert the bareword "Pm" into a link to http://www.pmichaud.com/
>wherever it occurs.  In retrospect it would've been nice if localmap.txt
>had required the colon in the entries, to distinguish between the
>colon-required replacements and simple bareword substitutions, but it
>didn't happen that way, and I think converting to that format might cause
>a fair number of upgrade headaches... :-|

Having had time to reflect on this, and also having forgotten why I was so
keen on it before, I think my *current* thinking is that bare words forming
links would be great, but it would make more sense to use the link markup
that exists.

So in your example above, just Pm on the page would render as the 2
characters, while [[Pm]] would make them a link
to  http://www.pmichaud.com/ , as defined in the intermap.

Seeing Pm: seems a bit strange

Neil

Neil Herber