[pmwiki-users] Variables in localmap.txt (Was: clean URLs for wikifarm in

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 20 19:06:22 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:51:12PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2005-03-16  09:58 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> >We also have the outstanding issue (from Neil Herber, I believe), of
> >wanting to be able to place things in the localmap.txt file that result
> >in substitutions but don't require the colon, so that certain barewords
> >always result in links.
>
> Having had time to reflect on this, and also having forgotten why I was so
> keen on it before ...

I think you described it that you wanted "Neil" to automatically link
to some external url.  :-)

> ... I think my *current* thinking is that bare words forming
> links would be great, but it would make more sense to use the link markup
> that exists.
>
> So in your example above, just Pm on the page would render as the 2
> characters, while [[Pm]] would make them a link
> to  http://www.pmichaud.com/ , as defined in the intermap.

...and you'd never want to have a page called "Pm"?  Or would it use
the intermap link only if there's no valid local reference to a page
named "Pm"?  (I'm wondering how this might interact with the PmWiki:
and Cookbook: intermap links that are already defined in
scripts/intermap.txt .)