[pmwiki-users] Floating text around pictures

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Fri Mar 25 21:02:43 CST 2005

Hi, Jo,
On Saturday 26 March 2005 08:56, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:15:28 +0100
> From: Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org>
> Subject: [pmwiki-users] Re: Floating tekst around pictures
> To: pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com
>
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> >>Floating works all right for me, and the text starts to the right of the
> >>image, but for some reason it starts with the bottom line aligned to the
> >>bottom of the child, something like this:
> >>
> >>  +-------------+
> >>  |             |
> >>  |    image    |
> >>  |             |
> >>  +-------------+ Text begins here
> >>  and continues here.
> >>
> >>Does anybody has a clue why this happens? (Sounds like a CSS issue, but
> >>I don't know which CSS styles can affect this behavior...)
> >
> > Can you provide an example on pmwiki.org somewhere?  (Probably should
> > go in the Test group.)
>
> Try as I might, I couldn't reproduce the effect.
>
> I now think that the problem was sitting in front of the monitor - we
> were trying to get the effect on a certain image, but our frantic
> attempts to produce a working set of directives went to an entirely
> different one that came earlier on the page.
>
> Regards,
> Jo

I could reproduce the effect - by forgetting the %align=left% token just
before the command to display the picture.  I put a demonstration in the
PmWiki site at

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/FloatingImage

Of course, I should have called "FloatingText", but it is called FloatingImage
for better or for worse.

My reason for the interest in this problem is that I fell into the same trap
and could not attain text wrapping around a picture.  Mind you, exactly the
same problem occurs in html - it is simply lack of attention to the rules of
the markup.

As I understand it  (or mis-understand it), the PHP language produces HTML
code and the purpose of any program is to do just that - to produce a HTML
code, no?  So we can hardly blame PmWiki for producing the code that behaves
the way html is supposed to behave, can we?

HTH, even if only a little,

Kind regards,

OldAl.

--