[pmwiki-users] [OT] Strange list DNS issues

Robin robin at kallisti.net.nz
Sat Mar 26 05:08:42 CST 2005

Is anyone else seeing this kind of thing:
C7D2614147     1913 Fri Mar 25 13:43:56  robin at kallisti.net.nz
(Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=pmichaud.com
type=MX: Host not found, try again)
                                         pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com

[time is +1200, it's currently Saturday 23:01]
(note that I run my own mailserver, so can see this sitting in the mail
queue). Sometimes things seem to go straight through, other times they
don't. This is the only address I've seen it happen with.

What it looks like to me (assuming the problem isn't at my end) is that
the DNS server(s) for pmichaud.com are sometimes flaking out and causing
it to sit in my mail queue for ages. Given that it's staying in the queue
and not being outright rejected makes it look like a temporary DNS error,
such as servers not responding. Doing a dig:
$ dig pmichaud.com MX

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> pmichaud.com MX
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pmichaud.com.                  IN      MX

;; Query time: 2526 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.24#53(192.168.0.24)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 26 23:03:50 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 30
However I'm not totally sure what a domain without a defined MX should
return, except there is no authority section, which strikes me as a
little odd. I'm also not sure why it isn't falling back to the A record
(the mailserver is postfix, which is good one for doing the Right Thing,
so that implies that something is happening that means that it
shouldn't).

If noone really has an idea, I'll chase it up on the postfix-users list,
which I'm already subscribed to for other reasons. Someone on there is
likely to know.

--
Robin <robin at kallisti.net.nz>             JabberID: <eythian at jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0xA99CEB6D = 5957 6D23 8B16 EFAB FEF8  7175 14D3 6485 A99C EB6D