[pmwiki-users] Including pre-defined text blocks in PmWiki pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 28 19:02:36 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:04:57AM -0500, Tom Holroyd wrote:

> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >The administrator can also define custom markup sequences -- see
> >http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/CustomMarkup .  For example,
> >the admin can define {$Address} with:
> >
> >    Markup('address', '{$var}',
> >      '/{\\$Address}/',
> >      'predefined text goes here');
>
> Hmm.  The {$var} phase isn't mentioned on that page.  How is this
> different from:
> 	Markup('macroname', 'fulltext', '{macroname}',
> 		'random replacement text');

Any registered markup becomes a "waypoint" in the processing sequence,
thus

    Markup('address', '{$var}', ... );

says to process this markup in the same phase (actually as part of)
the {$var} markup sequence.  I probably could've just as easily said
"fulltext" in this case and it would work as well, but since I knew
this was basically another case of the {$...} markup it was just
easier to say that it should go along with the other {$var} markups.

{$var} already takes place very early in the processing -- in fact,
it occurs right after {$fmt}, which occurs immediately after [=...=].